Topic Summary: Buy and Replace Furnace Filters (How Often and Why) in Eastern Iowa
The following guidelines should help you understand how often to buy and replace furnace filters in Eastern Iowa.
We service much of Eastern Iowa (including Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, North Liberty, Fairfax, and all surrounding areas), so this information will be especially useful to those within 60 miles of our main office in Amana.
They say pictures are worth a thousand words…
Note the difference between the clean and dirty filters in these photographs. You should be inspecting your filter at least every 6 months (but it’s better to check them quarterly). Whenever your filter looks dirty, it should be replaced. The before and after pictures in this article are examples of a REALLY FILTHY FILTER, so use this as a general guide of WHAT NOT TO DO! The date stamp on this dirty filter (the top photo) was 1 year from the date of replacement with the new clean one. Our advice is to buy and replace furnace filters BEFORE they get this dirty.
Why Replace Often?
The most critical reasons are…
- to avoid mechanical problems with your furnace equipment
- A dirty filter (or using a cheap filter) allows dust and debris from getting into the operating components of your unit. The most common cause of equipment failure is operating the furnace with dirty filters. The internal components of the modern furnace are highly efficient, but they MUST NOT have dust, dirt, hair, mold and mildew spores, pet dander, etc. invading the system. Once you’ve bought a quality furnace, keeping the filter changed and clean is the single most important thing you can do. Very much like changing the oil filter on your car, changing the filter on your furnace is critical. However, installing a furnace filter is much much easier, so always buy and replace as often as necessary.
- to improve air quality in your living space
- Any dust, hair, skin flakes, mold, mildew, and so on, that passes through the furnace filter will be recirculated though your home and office. Everyone appreciates breathing in clean air. Many people are allergic to pet dander, mildew, and other airborne contagions.
This question depends on several factors. Below is a guide to help you decide (approximately) how often to replace your furnace filter…
We always recommend using QUALITY furnace filters ONLY (such as Trion Air Bear filters)!
Trion Air Bear filters have proven to WORK MUCH BETTER than cheaper brands!
Replace Four (4) Times Per Year if:
- You have 2 or more people
- You have 2 or more pets
- You are located on or near gravel roads
- You have a damp basement
- Your building is large, old, or prone to dust
Replace Two (2) Times Per Year if:
- You have 2 people
- You have 1 non-shedding pet
- You dust semi-regularly
Replace One (1) Time Per Year if:
- You live alone
- Your building is small, new, and not prone to dust
- You dust, vacuum and clean regularly
But remember, no matter what your unique situation, make sure your filter gets changed before it gets too dirty!!! If you need help, give us a call…
Oehl HVAC handles Furnace Repair and Troubleshooting for all brands
Our service area is Coralville, Iowa City, North Liberty, Cedar Rapids, Fairfax, Walford, Williamsburg, Tiffin, Hiawatha, and all surrounding towns within a reasonable distance of our home office, located in Amana, Iowa.
Until Next Time…
Keep It Clean.